Teluk Intan

Teluk Intan is a fascinating small town in Perak, about two hours of driving distance up north from Kuala Lumpur. Let's find out the places to visit when you come to Teluk Intan!

Teluk Intan Attractions

The Leaning Clock Tower

Madrasah Al-Ihsahniah

Hock Soon Keong Temple

Dou Mu Gong Temple

Istana Raja Muda Perak

Batu Bertenggek

Sri Subramaniam Temple

Bird Paradise Island

Anson Old Court

Teluk Intan Historical landmarks

Teluk Intan Attractions

The Leaning Clock
Tower

Madrasah Al-Ihsahniah

Hock Soon Keong
Temple

Dou Mu Gong
Temple

Istana Raja Muda
Perak

Batu Bertenggek

Sri Subramaniam
Temple

Bird Paradise
Island

Anson Old Court

Teluk Intan Historical landmarks

Scroll to Top

The Leaning Clock Tower

This 25 meter high tower in the small Perak town of Teluk Intan is Malaysia’s answer to the Leaning Tower of Pisa. It is not as old, nor as tall, nor as famous as its Italian counterpart but it does have a distinct incline and that makes a curiosity worth visiting.

It was constructed in 1885 by Mr. Leong Choon Cheong and some Ceylonese contractors. It was built primarily to store water for local usage during the dry season and in case of fire. Since it began leaning over due to soft soil foundations it has become a tourist attraction.

It is a 3 storey brick construction with a large steel water tank at the upper level. From the outside however it has been disguised to look like an 8 storey Chinese pagoda. Local people contributed to buy the clock from James W. Benson, Turret Clock Makers of Ludgate Hill, London. It still works and chimes every 15 minutes

Madrasah Al-Ihsahniah

Madrasah Al-Ihsaniah is the first modern madrasa in Malaya. It was founded by Sheikhul Islam Mohd Salleh Bin Mohd Taib, a scholar born in Minangkabau. He pursued religious studies in Mecca and studied under prominent scholars of that time. Sheikhul Islam Mohd Salleh came to the state of Perak at the invitation of Raja Mahmud, Orang Kaya-Kaya Imam Paduka Tuan, and settled in Kuala Kangsar. He then moved to Teluk Anson where his reputation was already well-known. With increasing community support, he built a madrasa named Madrasah Ihsaniah on a piece of land measuring ½ acre.

The original building of Madrasah Al-Ihsaniah was constructed using wood with a nipah palm roof. Later, when the madrasa's finances were sufficient, a more permanent building was erected in 1901, which still stands today. The construction of this building was also supported by endowments from the late Sultan Idris Murshidul' Adzam Shah ibni the late Raja Bendahara Alang Iskandar.

Hock Soon Keong Temple

A famous temple complex in Teluk Intan, known as Hock Soon Keong (Hock Soon Temple). The origins of the temple are unknown, while the main temple building was constructed in 1883, as indicated by a legend painted on the building.

Hock Soon Temple was the centerpoint of all Hokkien Chinese in Teluk Intan during the British colonial era. The local Hokkien people would congregate at the temple to solve all problems, from giving aid to the poor to solving fights between clans. The local Hokkien people used to select three local Hokkiens, usually businessmen and famous men to settle their problems.

The temple was built with Southern Chinese architecture, the most notable feature being the beautifully decorated upturned eaves. There is also a century old mosque just opposite the temple, which is frequently mentioned as a typical depiction of religious harmony in Malaysia.

Dou Mu Gong Temple

Belief in the Nine Emperor Gods is widespread in Southeast Asian countries such as Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore. This belief took root here with the Chinese ancestors who came to Malaysia, and after weathering through over a century, believers have been passed down from generation to generation. Malaysia is one of the country that have best preserved the belief in the Nine Emperor Gods.

There are more than seventy members of the Nine Emperor Gods General Association of Malaysia's Dou Mu Gong, but there are probably more Nine Emperor Gods temples in the country, at least more than a hundred. The way in which the birthday of the Nine Emperors is celebrated may vary from region to region and temple to temple. There are also different stories about the origin of the Nine Emperor Gods. There are many mysteries and taboos about the celebrating the birthday of the Nine Emperor Gods.

Istana Raja Muda Perak

The Istana Raja Muda is located on Jalan Syed Abu Bakar in Teluk Intan. The istana was built in the early 1920s by Almarhum Sultan Iskandar Shah. Almarhum Raja Muda Abdul Aziz ibni Raja Muda Musa was the first Raja Muda to occupy the istana.

However, following the death of DYTM Raja Muda Ahmed Siffuddin ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar in 1987, the Istana Raja Muda was left unoccupied. The istana since has been in a deplorable state.

Batu Bertenggek

Another attraction in Teluk Intan is the ‘Batu Tenggek’ (Sitting Boulder) which is situated at a junction in the town centre. The rock was believed to be placed by a British soldier and was a size of a matchbox. Over the years, the small rock grew bigger until it reached the size of a boulder.

Upon closer inspection, crystal-like substances can be seen throughout the rock’s surface. As crystals have expanding properties, this might explain the growing nature of the stone. This boulder is now part of a local war memorial built to commemorate World War I and World War II. The plaque on the memorial carries a line from Laurence Binyon’s famous poem, For the Fallen :

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.

Sri Subramaniam Temple

Another significant place of worship in the town of Teluk Anson is the Sri Subramaniam Temple, popularly called Perak Thendayuthapani Temple, built in 1926 from the contributions by the Nattukottai Chettiars (also known as the Nagarathars), a prominent mercantile community originating from Tamil Nadu, India.

Popular festivals conducted in the temple are the Chitra Pournami during the Tamil month of Chithrai (April-May), which extends through three days. On the festival's third day (the day of Pournami), the Silver Chariot (Velli Ratham) is taken in a procession along the route that usually covers the entire old town of Teluk Intan. The temple is managed by Nagarathars, who represent seven towns in Perak, including Teluk Intan, Tapah, Kampar, Bidor, Sitiawan and Lumut.

Bird Paradise Island

Every day when the sun goes down, about 50,000 birds of various species fly back to their flock nests in Pulau Bangau (Stork Island) after a day out looking for food. These birds flew low across Sungai Perak, looking like Japanese planes about to attack enemy ships during the Second World War.

It is best seen on a river safari with panoramic views of the sky river culminating with a glorious sunset. Pulau Bangau is touted as the nation’s largest heronry and is fast becoming renowned as a birdwatchers’ paradise.

Anson Old Court

The Anson Old Court was built in 1891 and completed in 1893. It is one of the earliest colonial administrative buildings in Teluk Anson and served as a place to hear and pass judgment on offenses committed in Hilir Perak.

From 1893 to 1912, the courthouse building was also used by Anglican Christians for religious purposes every Sunday until the Anglican Church building (now St Luke the Evangelist Church) was completed in 1912. Featuring English Neo-Classical architecture, the building's design has remained intact despite modern changes.

After the end of World War II, the courthouse was used as a temporary War Crimes Court to adjudicate war crimes committed by Japanese soldiers in Hilir Perak. As a result, Sergeant Sasaki Saburo, who was the leader of the Kempetai (Secret Police) unit in Teluk Anson, was sentenced to death by the jury of the Teluk Anson War Crimes Court, which convened on June 17 and 18, 1947.

The St.Anthony's School of Teluk Anson

On 2 February 1931, the parish priest of St. Anthony's Church; the Rev. Fr. Michel Bonamy started a school in a wooden shack adjoining the church building to cater to the needs of the Catholic children in his parish. Until then, school going Catholic children attended the nearby Methodist School (today known as the Horley Methodist School). The school was named after St. Anthony of Padua and had an initial enrolment of 11 students.

In March 1936, the Rev. Fr. John Edmond succeeded Fr. Bonamy as the parish priest and Headmaster of the school and successfully acquired a piece of land opposite the church across Anderson Road for the school. The first block of six classrooms was built on this land and officially opened by the British Resident of Perak, Marcus Rex, on 27 January 1941.

During the Japanese occupation of Malaya, the school was eventually closed in 1943 and served as a barracks for soldiers of the local Japanese garrison. The school remained closed until the Surrender of Japan ended the hostilities of the Second World War and Malaya came under the British Military Administration.

The Elephant Memorial of Anson Town

130 years ago, a wild elephant had stood its ground against a train- an act so legendary that the elephant’s heroics are still being talked about today with its own memorial at Sungai Kerawai, Teluk Intan.

Just a mere century ago, Malaysia was still teeming with wildlife and tropical jungle. Teluk Intan, then called Teluk Anson, saw wild elephants roam the area freely, often drinking at nearby watering holes. Then, the railways were built by the British in 1885. The first ever railway was between Taiping and Port Weld, opened by the British to transport tin from the mines in Larut. In 1886, the line expanded to connect Kuala Lumpur and Klang. In 1891, a new line was constructed between Seremban and Port Dickson.

This new steam engine train whistled through the jungle and shook the ground on its daily trips to and from Teluk Anson, without regard for anything that stood in its way. According to local, the gentle giants paid the trains no mind until one fateful day in 1894, when an elephant calf was hit by the train and died.

It was only then that the bull elephant returned the next day, facing the train head-on to protect his family, standing his ground on the tracks refusing to move. His act of retaliation derailed the train’s engine and three carriages, allegedly resulting in two deaths and many injuries, although official reports suggest that there were no casualties.

Although the bull elephant was physically bigger than the train, muscle is no match for metal hurtling at 50 mph (around 100km/h). Sadly, the elephant died on the spot. The British government were so moved by this wild elephant that they set up the Sungai Kerawai Elephant Memorial as a reminder of the incident, which still stands proudly a century later.

Although it lay forgotten as the railway line was discontinued in the 1980s, the signage was restored in 2018 by the History Enthusiasts Society of Perak (Persatuan Pencinta Sejarah Masyarakat Perak) and the Artist Association of Teluk Intan (Persatuan Pelukis Teluk Intan).

Efforts were taken to preserve the skull and tusk of the elephant (which is currently displayed in the Taiping Museum), and the hip bones which measured almost 1 meter in height are displayed at the Johor Bahru KTMB (Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad) mini museum.

The 30km branch line

The 30km branch line from Tapah Road to Teluk Intan (formerly Teluk Anson) closed down in 1989 due to a decline in traffic. It opened in 1893. At that time it was one of several unconnected sections of the Perak Government Railway. Tapah Road was connected to Ipoh in 1895 and eventually linked to the Selangor State Railway in 1902 after both railways became part of the FMSR.

The tracks were dismantled and removed by the Japanese during WWII but restored again by December 1946.

The railway line has a couple of claims to fame. It was the location of the first train crash in Malaya which occurred in July 1888 at Sungai Kerawai Halt.

The St.Anthony's Church

The origin of the church dates back to 1894 when the French missionary priest Rev. Father René-Michel-Marie Fee acquired a piece of land and built an attap roofed wooden chapel as part of the larger Parish of South Perak which included Tapah. The chapel was dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua.

The Rev. Father Fée was elevated to become the Bishop of Malacca in 1896 and was succeeded by the Rev. Father Louis Perrichon who ministered to the scattered Roman Catholic communities along the Tapah – Kuala Kubu Baru road. In 1910, a presbytery was built in the compound of the chapel during the watch of the sixth parish priest, the Rev. Father Donat Perrissoud who also extended his pastoral ministry to the townships of Lumut and Sitiawan.

In 1914, the original wood and attap chapel was destroyed in a fire. Funds amounting to 70,000 Straits dollars was successfully raised and work begun on the building of a new church with the foundation stone laid on 7 May 1922. The new church building was consecrated on 6 May 1923 by Bishop Jean-Marie Mérel, Vicar-Apostolic Emeritus of Canton.

Today, weekly masses are held in Tamil and English while masses in Mandarin and Malaysian are held once a month.